FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Fort Wayne police are still looking for the suspects responsible in the city's 34 homicides so far this year.
The Allen County Coroner's office said 37 people have been murdered in 2017, at least 30 of those cases are still active investigations.
While that's down from last year's record 49 homicides, more are unsolved this year.
Fort Wayne resident Lola Whitman is one of many people who are worried only a handful of murders in Allen County have someone behind bars.
"Just how sad it is for the families and for anybody to have to be taken and not be able to know who is done that," Whitman said.
The latest murder was Sunday when Martell Milton, 25, was shot in a van on Winter Street.
Police are still searching for his killer.
"It's very frustrating. There's a loss of life. People out there want answers, we want answers and we want to put the person who did that behind bars. We don't want them hurting anyone else in our community or anywhere else," said Fort Wayne Police Chief Steve Reed.
Until those killers are off the street, Whitman said she's worried for her safety but she still goes about her day.
"We're not safe anywhere you go now. We can't stop living our lives, but just even going to the store, even in your own home to feel you're not safe anymore. It's really sad," she said.
Reed said there's one major reason homicide cases like this one stay open.
"Unfortunately we still struggle with getting witness to come forward. That is the key to solving the case, getting witnesses to come forward and tell us what they saw and what happened," said Reed.
Reed encourages anyone with any information about any crime to call Crime Stoppers at 260-346-7867.
- Police working to solve murders
- Small town police departments credit tight community for solving crime
- New trash days aimed at solving collection issues
- E. coli mystery solved: Ground beef is source of outbreak, CDC says
- New Haven police chief talks about recent murder
- Police asking for your help in finding murder suspect
- Tip leads Indiana police to re-examine 1950 murder case
- Murder suspect in court
- Lafontaine murder suspect arrested
- Accused murderer stands trial