FREMONT, Ind. (WFFT) - Heavy police presence in Fremont Thursday as multiple police agencies were in a stand-off with a man for seven hours.
Sgt. Ron Galaviz with Indiana State Police says it all started just before 11 a.m. when police got a call from DeKalb County to do a welfare check on a man at the travelers inn on state road one twenty.
"I don't know the details of why the check was asked for but multiple officers came to the hotel. how the dynamic worked out between the interaction with them and the guest in the hotel room resulted in gun fire from that guest at the law enforcement officers," Galaviz said.
Galaviz says nobody was hit in that shooting and adds that police did not fire back.
Multiple other police agencies responded after that as backup.
Galaviz says over the course of the next seven hours there was some communication with the person inside the room via telephone.
Around 5 p.m. police released tear gas into the room and the man inside responded.
"Fire shots through the window at police," Galaviz said. "Nobody was hit, nobody was injured and shortly there after at a quarter to six he came out on his own and gave himself up."
Galaviz says now that the stand off is over a criminal investigation will be done by the Indiana State Police.
Figuring out things like why this happened in the first place.
Galaviz says regardless they're thankful it ended the way it did.
"In situations like this the end goal, the best case scenario is exactly what we had here," Galaviz said. "The individual involve came out on his own, surrendered to police custody and nobody was injured. Just as importantly if not more, the community can sleep a little bit safer knowing their free to go about their business again. that that element of danger is now gone."
FOX 55 has learned the person facing charges in this case is 36-year-old Joshua A. Kelley of Kendallville. He's facing preliminary charges of manufacturing methamphetamine, possession of a handgun by a convicted felon, pointing a loaded firearm, intimidation and three counts of criminal recklessness.
- Police standoff lasts for seven hours in Steuben County
- Buffalo roam Steuben County fields
- Two arrested in Steuben County drug search
- One person dead in Steuben County crash
- Steuben County Sheriff 'Please lock your vehicle'
- Steuben County police looking for fugitive registered sex offender
- Steuben County Police arrest man for breaking into home
- Indiana State Police to conduct sobriety checkpoint in Steuben County
- Steuben County sex offender located on Crooked Lake
- Most of escaped bison return to Steuben County farm