FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Fort Wayne Police are investigating after a woman died in a home on Baxter Street Wednesday.
The call came in around 6:10 a.m. Wednesday as an unknown problem. Officers arrived to 808 Baxter Street and found the woman in critical condition. When paramedics arrived she was pronounced dead.
Three other people were in the home at the time. They were taken from the house by detectives to be questioned. Police said there was a language barrier, so they had to call in a translator.
They later arrested Julio Rodriguez, 47. Police believe the woman's death is a result of a domestic dispute, but have not confirmed her exact relationship to the suspect. Rodriguez is currently being held on preliminary domestic and aggravated battery charges.
Two dogs were also taken from the home by Animal Care and Control.
Neighbors living in the area of Baxter Street and Weisser Park said this type of violence doesn't usually happen in their neighborhood.
"Been here over 30 years and never seen nothing like this," said Lewis Johnson.
Johnson said he was shocked when he woke up to police lights and caution tape. He said his neighbors seemed like a normal family.
"They'd come in and out, you know. Never seemed like no problems," he said.
Johnson said the victim lived there with a husband, who is believed to be Rodriguez, and two kids.
Another woman who lives in the area said she was also surprised.
"Even with all of the gun violence and everything that's going on, nothing ever really hit home in this neighborhood. We're pretty close over here, so I was pretty shocked."
In her experience, the family kept to themselves, but seemed nice enough.
"Nice people you know, hi, and bye and that's it... They never drew any type of attention to themselves... I never really saw the female. I always see the man come in and out of work, and that's it."
An autopsy is expected to be conducted Thursday morning. FOX 55 News will have updates on the victim and the cause of death, as they become available.
- Police investigating death on Baxter Street
- Baxter Street death investigation suspect charged with murder
- Victim identified in Baxter Street death investigation, death ruled a homicide
- Police investigating death on S. Webster Street
- Police investigating baby's death
- Arrest made in Lillie Street death investigation
- Police investigating Weisser Park death
- Police investigate deadly shooting on Berry Street
- Kendallville Police investigating death on train tracks
- Police investigating child death in Noble County