FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Fort Wayne PD, Allen County Sheriffs, New Haven Police, and other departments as well as the public gathered at the Law Enforcement and Firefighters Memorial on Wells Street today to honor those in blue.
The ceremony commemorated those officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.
Each fallen officer’s name was read aloud as people paid their respect to the fallen.
Michael Joyner says his brothers and sisters in blue work hard everyday to protect the public and says it’s worth it to say thanks
Joyner said, "Reach out. It goes a long way to stop an officer and say thank you for what you do, it means a lot to us."
Allen County Commissioner Nelson Peters also designated May 12th through the 19th as Police Week in Allen County and May 10th, 2019 will be known as Peace Officer Memorial Day in the county.
- Police gather to honor their own
- Locals gather to honor US Flag, US Army
- Hundreds gather to honor lives of murdered teenage siblings
- Whitley County residents gather at Concord Cemetery to honor veterans
- Hundreds gather for gun control rally downtown
- Nearly 300 gather for second amendment rally
- Public Art Commission gathering public input
- He fought in the D-Day invasion. With no family left when he passed away, hundreds gathered to honor him.
- Hollywood honors Stan Lee
- Wabash honors local vets