MARION, Ind. (AP) - Police in northeastern Indiana say a suspected burglar was apparently crushed to death when a more than 900-pound (408-kilogram) antique safe fell over onto him.
The Marion Police Department says a homeowner called Tuesday to report that someone had broken into his garage. The homeowner told police a door frame had been damaged but the garage was so cluttered he couldn't tell what might be missing. He found the body the next day while cleaning out the garage.
A statement from police says the antique safe had been knocked over and the suspected burglar's body was found underneath. The Marion Fire Department helped lift the safe so the man's body could be removed. Police say he was carrying identification, but his name wasn't immediately released.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police: Suspected Indiana burglar crushed by 900-pound safe
- "You Can Crush Hunger" competition kicks off
- Weight Watchers is getting crushed by keto
- British lawmakers crush Theresa May's Brexit deal by record margin
- All Indiana CVS pharmacies now have time-delayed safes
- Indiana police officer fatally shot
- Indiana agents raid 2 suspected cockfighting operations
- Police searching for shooting suspect
- 12-year-old girl home safely
- Family safe after house fire