BYRAM, Miss. (AP) - Police say an officer shot a man after receiving call about a shoplifter at a Walmart in western Mississippi.
Byram Police Chief Luke Thompson told WLBT-TV that the incident occurred around 8:55 a.m. Sunday. He says the suspect attempted to flee in a foot chase before he got into his vehicle, rammed a police car and another car in the parking lot.
Thompson says the officer fired several shots, hitting the suspect. The chase ended in front of a residence.
The suspect was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. His condition is unknown.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation and Byram Police are investigating the incident.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police: Officer shoots man at a Mississippi Walmart
- Police investigate shooting at Walmart
- Police investigate officer-involved shooting in Huntington
- Indiana man dies in police-involved shooting
- Officer-involved shooting in Kendallville
- Officers cleared in Garrett shooting
- Police investigate shooting
- Huntington Police investigate shooting
- Family seeking answers after two police officers shoot, kill dog