MOORESVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Police in central Indiana say a toddler found his mother's unsecured gun while she was out of the room and accidentally shot himself to death.
The Morgan County Sheriff's Department says the shooting occurred Wednesday morning at a home outside Mooresville.
PROGRAMMING ALERT: GET READY TO RESCAN YOUR TV TO KEEP WATCHING FOX 55
It identified the child as 2-year-old Anthony Jones of Indianapolis.
Deputies say his mother, 26-year-old Stephanie Jones, told them she had gone to the bathroom while her son was watching television, heard a gunshot and ran back to find him lying on the floor with a fatal head injury.
The child was pronounced dead at the scene.
The boy's father wasn't home at the time. The family was housesitting for relatives.
His death remains under investigation.
- Police: Indianapolis toddler finds mom's gun, accidentally shoots self
- 3-year-old accidentally shoots pregnant mom
- Indianapolis toddler struck, killed by hit-and-driver
- Girl critically hurt in accidental shooting
- 'Moms Demand Action' rally against gun violence
- Toddler's death under investigation
- Toddler's death ruled a homicide
- Suspect in toddler's death arrested
- Victim identified in fatal Adams County accidental shooting
- 2 dead, 3 injured after shooting at Indianapolis saloon