ANGOLA, Ind. (WFFT) -- Hundreds of people went down to the toboggan run at Pokagon State Park Friday.
Tiffany Jackson brought her three children from Huntington to the park for opening day.
Toboggan Run hours:
Friday: 5:30 - 9 p.m.
Saturday: 10:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Toboggan sled rental per hour: $13 (including tax).
Park entrance fees:
- $7 in-state vehicles
- $9 out-of-state vehicles
- $2 per person on a bus.
"Just looking for something outside the box to do with the kids today, so here we are," Jackson said.
Friday Blake Dirckson's first time at the toboggan run in 15 years.
He's in town from New York City visiting family for the holiday.
"This was a nice way to get together and have a little bit of fun and work of all the food that we ate," he said.
The run is a staple at Pokagon.
It was built during the depression for workers who lived in the park.
It's seen upgrades over the years and now has a refrigeration system so it can stay open even when there's no snow, it's only one of two in the midwest like it.
The one at Pokagon tops out at 42 mph, which is why many kids enjoy the ride.
"It's really fast. Your eyes kind of water and you just want to close your eyes," said Reid Dingledine, from Coldwater, Ohio.
More information can be found here.
- Pokagon toboggan run opens for the season
- Toboggan slide open for season at Pokagon State Park
- Toboggan at Pokagon State Park opens for the season
- Zesto Ice Cream opens for season
- South Side Farmer's Market opens for season
- Area pools opening for the season
- DeKalb County corn maze opens for season
- Headwaters Park ice rink opens for 15th season
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo ready to open for 55th season
- Headwaters Park ice rink to open for 17th season on Saturday