Photo Gallery 13 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Larry Kelly is far from home, but he said Fort Wayne is the place to be.
"I think Fort Wayne is great. Like I said, I'm from upstate New York. This is not a whole different country, but it's a very warm and friendly inviting place. I love it in Fort Wayne," Kelly said.
Promenade Park is Fort Wayne newest park and this weekend thousands came to check it out from all over.
The four acre park on both sides of the Saint Mary's River between Harrision and Wells Street bridge has a plethora of activities for all ages with things like ping pong, foosball, and kayaking, and if you get hungry there's Trubble Brewing. The city said it's a place for everyone.
"I can't wait until nighttime. It probably looks even more beautiful. Some live music.. that'd really kick it up quite a bit," Kelly added.
The grand opening weekend for Promenade Park is a winner for most people who are visiting it for the first time with the river being one of the main attractions.
"The Parkview canopy walk, it's just amazing walking along the riverwalk 30 feet up in the air,” John Sampson said.
The architecture is catching many eyes as well.
Barbara Cayce said it's about time fort wayne has something like this.
"I think it's great. I think it's great for Fort Wayne to catch up with other cities and communities and we've had a great turn out," she said.
The city broke ground on Promenade Park two years ago, with thought the park would give the city an extra economic boost.
- People enjoy Promenade Park's grand opening weekend
- Promenade Park set to open
- Promenade Parking Posing Problems
- Promenade Park opening delayed until August
- Campaign for Promenade Park announced
- Skaters enjoy the ice rink at Headwaters Park opening weekend.
- Fort Wayne's Promenade Park now open with three day celebration
- Promenade Park construction still on time
- Promenade Park designed to help handle flooding
- Fort Wayne Parks Foundation creating legacy endowment for Promenade Park