FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Blowout sales at 'Payless Shoe Source' started Sunday following the news that the store is closing all 2,100 locations.
Payless joins the list of chains who have declared bankruptcy.
Three locations here in Fort Wayne are on the list.
Carol Gebert said she's sad to see the store go.
"Definitely, because they always have good deals," she said.
But Gebert and her family knew today was the day to find the sales, with many items up to 40 percent off.
"I actually came yesterday and they had a BOGO sale going on, and then a friend texted and said, 'Don't buy today, go tomorrow.'"
Kathy Price said online shopping is killing some of her favorite stores.
"Convenience has become a big part of our society, and it's convenient to sit at home and shop versus going out and interacting with the stores," Price said.
She said she'll make the most of the sales while they're here.
"Absolutely. We love our shoes," she said.
Bur she hopes someone starts filling the empty stores at Jefferson Pointe.
"It's sad that we have such a beautiful mall and the stores close and it's empty."
Many stores are open until the end of March, but some are staying opening until May.
- Payless Shoe Source starts liquidation sales ahead of closing
- Payless is closing all its 2,100 US stores
- Choc-a-block: Liquid chocolate leak envelops German street
- DPS: Tanker full of liquid chocolate spills on Arizona interstate
- Indiana panel backs 20 percent tax on e-cigarette liquids
- Indiana lawmakers pushed to adopt e-cigarette liquids tax
- Legislature aims to close online sales, hotel taxes loophole
- Notre Dame fire started at the center of the cathedral's roof, says police source
- Katy Perry faces criticism over shoe design resembling blackface
- Nike cancels shoe featuring early version of American flag