PAULDING COUNTY, Ohio (WFFT) — This time of year, farmers are out in their field harvesting the last of their crops.
They’re tilling the land and other AG partners may be working to get their work done before the freeze.
Dan Gordon owns his own company that does excavating and ditch digging.
The work helps with draining water in the fields, leading to larger yields and ultimately more money for farmers.
He recently left his tractor overnight in a field he was working in in Southwest Paulding County, then came back and noticed something was up.
"I showed up and started the tractor and was doing some maintenance on it, moved it and was doing some surveying with the gps. I came back to grab something out of my truck and walked around and noticed that my weights were missing."
The weights help give the tractor traction and helps with steering. Gordon says they aren’t the smallest things
"There were 22 of them on there," Gordon said. "They had to lift them off there at 100 lbs a piece, so it was not like that easy of a thing, they had to work a little bit to take them."
So they aren’t light and the loss isn’t light on the wallet.
Gordon bought the weights four months ago and estimates he could be out $2,500.
To make it less tempting to steal any parts or equipment, you’re encouraged to shine light on them, use gps tracking on large equipment, and make sure to mark everything, so people know it’s yours if they see the parts after they’re stolen.
Gordon is spreading the word now, saying to keep an eye on your equipment so this same thing doesn’t happen to you.
"It’s just a big inconvenience and just a hassle that we didn’t want to or need to deal with...This area, usually, you think of it being pretty good and a lot of honest people are out here, but apparently we’ve got a few who aren’t," Gordon said.
More tips to prevent farming theft can be found here.
- Paulding County man warning of farm thefts in the area
- Paulding County shooting suspect dies
- Paulding County man arrested for shooting grandson
- Paulding County murder suspect found in Nevada
- Paulding County Hospital cutting equipment services
- Paulding County deputies search for bank robber
- Paulding woman killed in Defiance County crash
- Man arrested in Kentucky for Paulding County murder
- Fort Wayne man killed in Paulding County crash
- Fire damages home on Paulding Road