FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - American Legion Post 47 on Reed Road now has the Automated External Defibrillator they needed.
FOX 55 News first brought you the story back in December when Jim Catanzaro reached out to FOX 55's Abby Jackson about the need for an AED.
"It's all installed and we're ready to go," Cantazaro said.
It all started last spring when another member, Joe Kohl, almost died at the legion.
"He was playing euchre just like he is today, and he had a little cardiac arrest," Catanzaro said.
Luckily, Jim was there to give him CPR.
"He got me back. I felt good. I was ready to go back playing cards and ready to drive home, but they wouldn't let me do that," Kohl said.
The marketing team at Parkview saw the story, and wanted to help the next day.
"We got a call from Jessica Foor over at Parkview Health and she said, wouldn't it be nice if Parkview donated this to us, and I thought it was lovely," Catanzaro said.
Mike GeRue, COO of Parkview Heart Institute, said they've donated to other local organizations like Science Central, various schools, and other legions.
"We worked with our team to get it delivered here and we're happy that it arrived on the anniversary of the third year of the legion here," GeRue said.
GeRue said an AED can mean the difference between life and death.
"The literature is out there that demonstrates if you can convert somebody who's having a cardiac arrest before the ambulance gets there, the chances of living are exponentially higher." he said.
Parkview is also donating the training classes for some legion members, something Catanzaro said he can't thank them enough for.
"It was just wonderful reaching out to the community," he said.
- Parkview donates AED to American Legion in need
- Parkview Huntington expanding
- Parkview opens in Wabash
- American Legion Post 47 asking for help getting AED
- Manchester University donates PPE to Parkview, waives fall enrollment deposit
- DeKalb Health officially joins Parkview Health, becomes Parkview DeKalb Hospital
- American Legion Post #330 holds annual veteran memorial motorcycle ride
- Parkview opening new cancer center
- Parkview announces new medical tower
- Parkview Health hosts a digital health summit