FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Teachers from across Indiana are getting ready for a statewide rally at the Indiana statehouse Nov. 19.
Many districts in Indiana are canceling classes for the day so teachers can attend the rally.
Monday, Huntington County Community Schools announced it will be closed because 115 teachers plan to attend the rally.
Nearly one-third of teachers at Fort Wayne Community Schools are using personal days to attend the rally, but the district said Monday it is staying open.
"Our students who see us as their home, as their safe place. I think about meals that may not be had because students aren't in school," said FWCS board member Maria Norman.
However, many parents feel the district should close.
About a dozen parents and their kids stood outside Croninger Elementary School Monday showing their support for teachers.
"That statement of Fort Wayne Community Schools closing, will send a message," said Jennifer Matthias, who has kids in FWCS.
More than 10,000 teachers across the state plan on attending the "Red for Ed" in downtown Indianapolis Nov. 19.
That's the day state legislatures have their organizational meeting.
"We want to hold our legislatures responsible for what they've done and try to get them back on track," said Sandra Vohs, Fort Wayne Educators Association president.
This year, teachers have a lot at stake.
"If the legislature does not pass some 'hold harmless' legislation, teachers won't get their raises until next year. And they normally don't pass legislation on origination day," said Vohs.
FWCS board member Ann Duff said she already has hotel reservations ahead of the rally.
"I'm going to support our teachers, support public education," Duff said.
As of Nov. 18, only two Allen County school districts plan to hold classes on Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Rallies are being planned outside schools before the classes begin.
- Parents support Indiana schools closing so teachers can attend Red for Ed rally next week
- Thousands of Indiana teachers attend Red for Ed Rally
- Teachers preparing for "Red for Ed" rally
- Indiana governor won’t see Red For Ed teacher rally
- More Northeast Indiana schools close for Red for Ed day
- Indiana teachers use "teacher voice" to draw attention to education issues at Red for Ed rally
- Indiana teachers preparing for historic Red for Ed rally at Statehouse
- Red For Ed Indiana teacher rally not prompting immediate GOP action
- Big Indiana teachers rally prompting many school closings
- East Allen County Schools closing on Red For Ed day