FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- One person is in critical condition after a shooting inside the Kroger store on North Clinton near Coliseum Blvd.
Police said they responded around 6:30 p.m. to the store after several people reported shots fired and one person down. Witnesses also said a suspect ran out of the store.
When officers arrived, they found 46-year-old James Michael Walker in the back of the store with a gunshot wound. He was initially in serious condition, but doctors downgraded him to critical at the hospital.
Officers secured the store and made sure the suspect was no longer inside. Detectives interviewed witnesses and reviewed surveillance video to try and get a description of the suspect.
Police believe this was an isolated incident, and not a random act of violence.
Eric Halvorson, a Kroger spokesperson, released the following statement after the incident:
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim. We are grateful to the customers who helped, especially the nurse who offered medical expertise. We also appreciate the response of the store’s assistant manager and the police who reached the scene so quickly. We are cooperating with law enforcement as officers conduct their investigation. The store will re-open at 6:00 A.M.
Anyone with information on this shooting is asked to called the Detective Bureau at 260-427-1201 or Crime Stoppers at 260-436-STOP.
- One hurt in shooting inside Kroger
- Kroger shooting victim identified
- Kroger shooting suspect arrested
- Kroger holding Grand Opening celebration
- One hurt in mall shooting
- Avancez, Kroger adding jobs to NE Indiana
- Kroger recalls "Comforts For Baby Purified Water"
- Kroger makes donation to Salvation Army
- Kroger phasing out plastic bags by 2025
- One person critically hurt after shooting