OHIO (WFFT)- Ohio election results started rolling in after the polls closed at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Voters had to vote for several seats, as well as issue one.
Issue one deals with a drug related initiative that would've made drug possession charges misdemeanors and reduced the sentences of some offenders.
Voters said "no" to issue one 64 percent to 36 percent.
The mayor of Van Wert told FOX 55 he's opposed issue one from the beginning. Many officials in other western Ohio counties also opposed issue one, saying it could put more drugs and violent offenders on the streets.
The initiative was first funded by George Soros and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg.
Supporters took the stance that voting in favor of issue one would give drug users easier access to treatment.
"You can carry enough fentanyl under this amendment to kill off half of Van Wert County and only being cited for a misdemeanor. We certainly feel that's a way that we're going to destroy not only the next generation, but generations to come," said Mayor Jerry Mazur.
Drugs from marijuana to fentanyl were included in the initiative.
Race results from Ohio named Republican, Mike DeWine, as Governor and Secretary of State Jon Husted as Lt. Governor at last check.
Husted told FOX 55 on Tuesday what's next if DeWine is to win the seat.
"The first thing to to is get in there and put our economic agenda together, to put our education agenda together so we're helping create 21st century jobs and training people, giving people the education and job skills they need to get those jobs, raise their wages and to create more prosperity for their families and in their communities," Husted said.
For the senate race, Democrat Sherrod Brown beat Jim Renacci with 53% of the votes at last check.
Brown is a senior U.S. senator first elected in 2006. He's been rumored to be a top pick for a 2020 presidential run, but Ohio democrats could not confirm that.
In the fifth district, Republican, Bob Latta won with 64 percent of the votes.
- Ohio election results roll in, issue one rejected
- Ohio Lieutenant Governor candidates looking toward election day
- Allen County Election Board trying to correct absentee ballot issue
- County commissioners reject rezoning of Spencerville field
- Voters reject Manchester Community Schools referendum
- Northwest Ohio Wind Farm unveiled
- Stormy Daniels arrested in Ohio
- Wet microburst hits Haviland, Ohio
- Democratic party weighs in on election results, what's to come in November
- Rolling slowdowns, ramp closures may change commute