Photo Gallery 1 Images
VAN WERT, Ohio. (WFFT) - Back to school shoppers are getting a break in Ohio this weekend thanks to the state's tax-free holiday.
"We're expecting a very busy weekend. Looking forward to seeing all the moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas in stores shopping for the kids for the busy back to school season," Jeffrey Welker, Van Wert Walmart Store manager said.
"I have three kids that go to school. They're in 3rd and 2 in first grade, so it helps out a lot to not have tax," Heather Cline said. "They all need new clothes and school supplies so I'll be buying everything."
During the sales tax holiday, the following items are exempt from sales tax:
Clothing priced at $75 or less and supplies priced at $20, but Welker said items at Walmart won't cost that anyway.
You can get items that fall under apparel like jeans, underwear, shoes, socks and backpacks.
You can get crayons, colored pencils, markers, pens, paper, glue, and folders.
"Walmart does have reasonable prices, but when they take out the taxes which makes it convenient for single moms who are struggling anyways, it's really amazing," Cline added.
If you don't know what to buy, you can go on Walmart's website type in the zip code, the school, and the teacher's name.
A full list of needed items will appear.
You can get the deals if you choose to shop online too with their new delivery service.
Indiana is not participating in the sales tax holiday.
- Ohio back to school sales tax holiday set for this weekend
- Ohio governor signs repeal of state sales tax on tampons
- Hamilton school board to set proposed tax rate next month
- Hamilton Community Schools sets tax rate for referendum proposal
- Why Amazon could win the battle for holiday toy sales
- Legislature aims to close online sales, hotel taxes loophole
- Sugary drink sales plummeted in Philadelphia after soda tax
- Data: Hoosier Lottery sees record sales, boosts tax reserves
- Indiana House panel backs lifting Sunday alcohol sales ban
- Indiana panel backs higher fines for underaged tobacco sales