LYONS TOWNSHIP, Michigan (WFFT) - Artesian of Pioneer turned on a new water plant in in Lyons Township, Michigan about two weeks ago. It is exactly like the one proposed in Fayette, Ohio.
"What we are proposing or contemplating or proposing in Fulton County happens every day," said AOP CEO Ed Kidston.
The Lyons Township water plant is pumping 11.5 million gallons a day from the aquifer below.
Kidston said that's about what the communities around Toledo would need if they buy their water from AOP.
"We have another one going in in southeast Ohio. This happens all the time," he said.
On March 12, hundreds of people attended an Ohio EPA informational meeting to explain the approval process for a new water system.
At the time, from Indiana told FOX 55 they are worried about their wells potentially going dry.
"The aquifer is my sole source of water. While I'm not worried about water for me, I'm worried about my children and my grandchildren," said Susan Catterall, from Hamilton.
Kidston has been running AOP for 40 years.
During that time, technology has changed and AOP even recycles water used at its plants.
The one in Lyons Township is the first plant in Michigan to do that.
Kidston, who is also the mayor of pioneer, added he's done work for for at least one municipality in the Michindoh Aquifer and no one's wells are dry.
"Are people saying for the very first time in my life, I'm going to go in my backyard and run us out of water? I don't think so," Kidston said.
He said the EPA won't even let him run wells dry even if he tried.
"We treat water that people put in their mouths. It is a portable water business. It is a highly regulated business. Nothing is more regulated than my business," Kidston told FOX 55.
Artesian of Pioneer is still in the very early stages for regulatory approval for the Michindoh proposal and that may not even go through.
- ONLY ON FOX 55: Artesian of Pioneer opens water plant similar to the Michindoh proposal
- Ohio EPA: Artesian of Pioneer still in very early phases in developing new water system
- CEO questions Michindoh Aquifer's existence
- Only on FOX 55: Officials in tri-state to meet on Michindoh Aquifer drilling
- ONLY ON FOX 55: People learn more about Michindoh Aquifer at Angola meeting
- Plan to sell water from Michindoh Aquifer moves forward
- Public meeting planned for Michindoh Aquifer drilling
- FOX 55 catches surprise proposal at local Kroger
- Ohio EPA needs more info to approve Michindoh Aquifer drilling