FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)-It's a 100 megawatt wind development that will help all of GM's Indiana and Ohio facilities.
While it's a celebratory day for them, some residents have concerns.
General Motors is pledging to generate all electrical power for it's facilities with 100% renewable energy by 2050.
"We realized going off site was the only way we were going to be able to meet that goal. This wind farm is a big component of that,"Rob Threlkeld, global manager of renewable energy for General Motors said.
The automaker is buying a total off 200 megawatts of wind energy from the Northwest Ohio Wind Farm along with another wind farm in Illinois making them 20% toward their goal.
"Our Defiance, Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, Lordstown, Ohio and then Indiana sites, Fort Wayne, Marion and Bedford will all be powered with our renewable energy from these two wind farms."
"This is the fourth project for wind turbines here in Paulding County, and it's just really great to have these projects here in our rural area,"Jerry Zielke, director of Paulding County Economic Development, Inc. said.
The wind turbines in the community claim to be energy efficient and environment friendly, but some people who live here say they can actually do without them.
"The main reason I don't like them is because all the electric goes out east and none of it stays here,"Weldon Adkins said.
He thinks it's more beneficial for the companies than the residents.
"They might do good. It might be profitable in 50 years, but are they gonna last 50 years? It's a big expense."
There is already discussion about a fifth wind project in Paulding County, but it's waiting on approval.
The project unveiled Monday is expected to bring in 300 jobs to the area.
The construction for the Northwest Ohio Wind Farm is ongoing and expected to be complete by the end of summer.
- Northwest Ohio Wind Farm unveiled
- Jay County residents want to stop a proposed wind farm
- Jay County residents divided on proposed wind farm
- Planning commission approves Jay County's second wind farm
- Second Jay County wind farm receives final local approval
- GM, CMS Energy wind farm partnership helping small town
- Dupont Hospital to unveil expansion
- Stormy Daniels arrested in Ohio
- Wet microburst hits Haviland, Ohio
- Solomon Farm Park hosts Christmas on the farm