Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - There will be a new perimeter security fence for the coliseum so the days of parking elsewhere are now going to include a hike.
The fence will start at the arena dock area wrapping from Parnell Avenue to the intersection of Coliseum Boulevard to the automated gate on Coliseum.
"That's this year's first phase of the fence project. Next year about this time, we will finish that and continue along down Coliseum Boulevard and coming up into our expo for dock area," general manager Randy Brown said.
The reason being less accessibility to groups like teams and entertainers.
"It really came from a recommendation from the NBA Security Department. Once a year they do a security assessment of our operations here. It was a very strong recommendation that we secure our team, media, employee parking area," Brown explained.
A lot of people will park in the vacant parking lot across the street for a store that's no longer in business just to avoid the $6 parking fee.
That'll be a little harder now if you don't want to walk far.
"When you cross Parnell you'll then have to go to the right, down Parnell, come around behind the expo and access the main lot, and to the rotunda, the main lobby space," he said.
The other thing that will be different now is exiting from the Memorial Hall toward Coliseum or Parnell doors.
The public won't be able to do that anymore.
- New security measure at the Memorial Coliseum
- Parking prices raised at Memorial Coliseum
- Drivers take on Memorial Coliseum traffic for the weekend
- Largest rabbit show in Midwest comes to the Memorial Coliseum
- Coliseum Blvd to close to place bridge
- Police investigating shooting on North Coliseum Blvd.
- Bridal Spectacular returns to the Coliseum
- Traffic Advisory issued for Coliseum area
- Section of Coliseum Blvd. closing overnight tonight
- Memorial Coliseum staff, Secret Service prepare for President Trump's arrival Monday