FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - An area of the Nebraska neighborhood might be one of several neighborhoods getting some help for improvements from Fort Wayne.
The neighborhood grant program aims to help beautify public spaces.
Russ Garriott with Fort Wayne Community Development says it's something they believe neighborhoods are interested in.
"We looked at some best practices throughout the country and designed this program with the intention of helping foster community engagement within neighborhoods and to help enrich the residential areas of the city," Garriott said.
Neighborhoods that apply and get the grant will receive $5,000 for their project.
The goal of the grant is to help create things like community gardens, improving community centers, creating benches or even public art.
Garriott says they aren't the normal types of improvements you might think of.
"The types of improvements we're looking for are really above and beyond some of the usual type of improvements in a neighborhood area," Garriott said. "So improvement such as sidewalks or light poles or street trees, this grant really goes beyond those types of improvements."
Another goal of the grant is to help strengthen community involvement.
Hoping people in the neighborhoods come together through this grant application and planning process."
"If you're a resident and you're not involved with your neighborhood this is a great opportunity for you to reach out to your neighborhood leadership, become active in your neighborhood, volunteer, serve on a board, really become engaged in the community," Garriott said.
You can learn more about the grant by visiting the Fort Wayne neighborhood website.
- New grant aims at neighborhood improvement
- Neighborhoods receive federal grants for community improvements
- More neighborhood improvements ahead
- Senate backs bill aimed to improve handling of rape evidence
- Investment firm aims to improve health care quality
- Indiana schools use state grant to improve school security
- FWPD officer recognized by neighborhood associations
- Creighton Avenue shooting has neighborhood in fear
- La Cabreah neighborhood petitions to be annexed