Fort Wayne's new garbage trucks were put to the test Wednesday under a new contractor by the name of Red River Waste Solutions.
Neighborhoods won't see a drastic change, just new trucks. The garbage carts will be the same, and so will pick up day; however, because of fuel costs and other expenses, there is an increase of $12.
"In the last contract, we were able to lower that by a $1.25, the amount we pay each month. This year it will be going up starting in January."
The manager of Red River Waste Solutions also says this change is going to get rid of the headache of things left behind for a few days.
"Where it's currently set up, you set it out the day of your service and you'd have to wait it out until the next day and unfortunately sometimes additional days beyond that. We now have it where you set that same item out, you will be serviced the same day."
There are five different styles of trucks that will be picking up garbage and recyclable items in neighborhoods.
- New garbage trucks debut in Fort Wayne
- New plan for garbage and recycling in Fort Wayne
- Truck crashes into Fort Wayne car dealership
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- The Peach Truck makes a stop in Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne Fire Department gets new fire trucks
- Visit Fort Wayne launches Fort Wayne Accessibility landing page
- Two Fort Wayne nightclubs closing
- Fort Wayne housing market booming
- Fort Wayne church helps Haiti