FORT WAYNE, Ind (WFFT) - The body of 61 year old Heidi Colley was found inside her home on Saturday in the Meadowbrook subdivision. Police arrested her son, Chad Ingram, for domestic battery. This isn't Ingram's first run in with the law according to New Haven Police Chief Henry McKinnon.
"Through the past years, there have been issues, I'll put it that way. Whether it's between neighbors, between family members," said McKinnon.
Police urged colley to take out a restraining order against her son in the past, and often times she declined, but McKinnon believes that at one point, she did have a restraining order against her son, but let it expire.
Many neighbors want to know why Ingram wasn't taken off the streets before, some of them calling him crazy. When asked if Ingram's mental capacity has ever come into question, McKinnon said:
"That's a fair statement, I can't go into specifics obviously because I don't want to disclose anybody's medical condition, but if you're asking if that's ever been brought into question, the answer to that would be yes."
Chief McKinnon believes his department did everything they could to help someone like Ingram, who is known to recommit crimes, saying:
"Police have taken actions in certain areas whether that be through criminal charges or through other help so to speak, but as far as a failure of a particular of, I guess, entity, I really can't answer that....I don't want this to sound bad, but if advice isn't taken, it sometimes makes it difficult. You know, we can do what we can do, within the law from our end, but sometimes other people have to take steps too."
The investigation is still ongoing. Ingram has not been charged with the murder of his mother, but he does very much remain a person of interest.
- New Haven police chief talks about recent murder
- New Haven Police investigating McDonald's robbery
- New Haven Police investigate armed robbery
- New Haven police investigating armed robbery
- Person of interest sought in relation to New Haven murder
- Train derails in New Haven
- New Haven girl found safe
- New Haven Police Dept. receives check to help K9 unit
- Man arrested after standoff with police in New Haven
- McMichael announces candidacy for New Haven mayor