VAN WERT, Ohio (WFFT)- Police are still investigating a baby's death in Van Wert this week.
Police told FOX 55 on Thursday they started investigating the death at a home in the 800 block of Leeson Avenue. Officers have not said if they think the baby's death is suspicious, but neighbors said the woman living in the home is someone they trust.
"I didn't really know the lady real real well, but I grew up with her, and I've known she's babysitted for quite a few years," said Ken Scott.
That's why Scott doesn't believe the woman had anything to do with the death.
"I'm sure it had to of been some kind of accident," he said.
Other neighbors said the same thing. Angie Tuckerman said the woman's babysitting services have even been recommended to her.
"I have a three year old, and they said she's really good with children, but I've never met her," she said.
It's unclear if the woman was babysitting at the time of the incident, or if she's related to the baby in some way. But, Tuckerman said this isn't the kind of thing that usually happens on their quiet, close-knit street.
"I'm just dumbfounded about the whole thing... It's just sad. It hits me right here," Tuckerman said.
Police told FOX 55 on the phone Friday morning they will release more details following an investigation.
- Neighbors speak out about baby's death
- Police investigating baby's death
- Amber Pasztor sentenced in neighbor's death
- Neighbor, fire department speaks out about mobile home fire
- Aunt of homicide victim speaks out about toddler's death
- Parents, grandparents indicted in death of Hicksville baby
- Neighbors react to murder investigation
- Zoo welcomes baby giraffe
- Neighbors react to Kendallville bank robbery
- Ohio teen accused of killing neighbor