NIPSCO is reminding customers to clear off utility meters while shoveling snow.
The gas utility says meters are designed to withstand winter weather conditions, but heavy snow and ice could create safety hazards.
NIPSCO is urging people to use hands or a broom instead of a shovel to clear snow and ice from your meters so that you don't damage the meter or gas lines.
They are also reminding customers to make sure your gas and electric meters are visible at all times. This helps maintenance and emergency crews get to your meters quickly.
NIPSCO also says you should have carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home, as well as near every bedroom.
- NIPSCO advises customers to keep meters free of snow
- NIPSCO warns against scammers
- NIPSCO asking for rate hike
- NIPSCO rate hike hearing Monday
- NIPSCO upgrades to start in April
- Consumer advocate seeks input on proposed NIPSCO rate hikes
- NIPSCO paying $900K fine over gas pipeline safety violations
- NIPSCO gives gift to Community Harvest food bank
- Residents argue against NIPSCO gas rate hike request
- Public comment period extended for NIPSCO gas rate hike