FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Northwest Allen County School District bus drivers are getting a hands-on experience on what it's like in emergency situations.
"We actually have the drivers in the seats as if they were students. One serves as the regular bus driver, and they become the helpers. They're practicing and learning the safer and proper procedure," Lizette Downey said.
A total of 70 drivers went through the bus evacuation drills.
Downey said it's essential knowledge especially after having a scare not long ago.
"We had an incident a little over a year and a half ago now a bus fire actually took place earlier on in the school year. We had a very fortunate situation no one was injured, but the bus did go up in flames," Downey said.
They have about three drills a year.
- NACS Transportation holds emergency drills
- NACS names new elementary school
- IPFW drill teaches students about emergency response
- Fort Wayne International Airport holds disaster drill
- Parents confused by NACS partial delay
- Details of potential new NACS school unfold
- Pop-up artist, Matthew Reinhart, visits NACS
- NACS hosts forum to discuss education issues
- NACS puts levy before voters for new school
- NACS board approves installing seat belts on buses