LEBANON, Ind. (AP) - A central Indiana prosecutor has filed formal murder charges against a man in the fatal shooting of a sheriff's deputy during a foot chase last week.
Online court records show that Boone County prosecutor on Tuesday also filed charges of possession of an illegal handgun, methamphetamine and marijuana against 21-year-old Anthony Baumgardt. Authorities say he shot Deputy Jacob Pickett in the head on Friday while the deputy was helping chase Baumgardt and two other men in Lebanon, which is where Baumgardt is from.
Baumgardt has been jailed since Saturday after he was released from a hospital where he was treated from being wounded when other officers returned fire. Court and jail records don't list an attorney for Baumgardt.
Prosecutor Todd Meyer is scheduled to discuss the case Tuesday afternoon.
- Murder charge filed in Indiana deputy's death
- Charges filed in murder of Indiana deputy
- New charges filed in Ligonier double murder
- Babysitter charged with murder in toddler's death
- Murder charges filed in Thanksgiving attack that killed 3
- Baxter Street death investigation suspect charged with murder
- Oakwood man charged with murder in brother's death
- Defense lawyers fight Indiana man's death penalty charges
- Fort Wayne grandfather makes plea for murder charges to be filed
- Three charged in Ligonier murder