FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - It's been two years since Spencer Smith was killed here at East Central Towers Apartments.
His mother, Angie Berger, hasn't been back to Fort Wayne since.
"I've already lost one kid to this city. I can't lose another one," she said.
She and family attended a hearing at the Allen County Courthouse to settle a wrongful death suit with the apartment's owners for $240,000.
"I would like it to be a safer community. There are a lot of small children that live there, and it just needs to be safer for everyone," she added.
Smith was shot and killed outside building "A" at the complex during a robbery. He's one of three men killed at the apartments in the last two years. In May of 2017, Terrance Miles was shot and killed, and just this month O'Shea Ford was stabbed to death.
Smith's grandfather, David Miller, said the family hopes the apartments will be safer for everyone.
"I'd like to see them be a better place for the people that live there. Crime doesn't care where it takes place. When you got a place where people can run in and out free, then you gotta think about it," Miller said.
The family however isn't done fighting. Now they want to see an arrest in Smith's death.
"We all want to get justice for Spencer and it's important that we're all speaking out and keep everything public because if we don't, it won't get solved," Berger explained.
- Mother returns to Fort Wayne seeking justice for son's death
- Rally in downtown Fort Wayne seeks justice for loved ones
- Fort Wayne family hoping missing son, brother returns home
- Fort Wayne man charged in mother's murder
- Mother's Day takes over downtown Fort Wayne
- Holiday Cab returns to Fort Wayne
- Savor Fort Wayne returns this week
- Boat Show returns to Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne Farm Show returns to coliseum
- Fort Wayne man files wrongful death suit over his son’s death