FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - AAA is expecting 5.1 million Americans to travel at least 50 miles for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend this year.
More than 1 million of those travelers are coming from Indiana, most of whom are hitting the road.
The last time this many traveled for Thanksgiving was in 2005, even though gas is more expensive than last year.
"I'm here just topping off my gas so I'm good and ready to go," said Fort Wayne resident Mindy Smith.
Smith and her husband are heading out of town for the entire weekend.
"Plans are to head over to Ohio. I have my daughter and grandchildren over there that we're going to spend the weekend with them," she said.
This is the first year Smith's daughter is hosting Thanksgiving in her home near Columbus, Ohio.
"Just the whole family getting together, on my side of the family. My sisters, they live close to my daughter so we're just all meeting up at her house," said Smith.
Tammy Bauer was also getting gas Wednesday afternoon, but she's not leaving town.
Normally, she goes to visit her brother in Tennessee for Thanksgiving.
"It's kind of disappointing, but we can video chat over the phone," said Bauer.
One of the many reasons she's not going is because how much it costs to fill the tank.
"Gas is up a lot compared to a couple years ago. I don't know why it's up but it's expensive," said Bauer.
AAA said the average price for a gallon of gas in Indiana was $2.70, that's up $.75 from last year.
The Indiana State Police is recommending people leave early on Thanksgiving because of the amount of people expected on the roads.
It is also reminding travelers troopers will be conducting extra patrols.
- More than 1 million Hoosiers traveling for Thanksgiving
- Millions expected to travel for Christmas
- TSA: Thanksgiving air travel to be busiest ever
- AAA predicts most Thanksgiving travelers in 13 years
- Central Indiana church wipes out $5 million in Hoosiers' medical debt
- The Fight to Save Hoosier Children
- Hoosiers can report flood damage online
- Indiana working to make Hoosier homes safer
- More Than 54 million Americans expected to travel for holiday
- Thanksgiving Day Fast Facts