FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - At approximately 6pm on Monday November 20th, a man walked into the All-American Store's location on Dupont Road and stole cash from a military charity collection.
Kris Carroll, a ten year veteran of the US Army, was shocked when he heard about it.
"You know we just finished celebrating Veteran's Day," said Carroll. "It's the holiday season, it's pretty disgusting that somebody would stoop to that level just for some tobacco products."
That same feeling was echoed by many people Tuesday when they heard about the incident.
Monday night, two people pulled up to a gas pump at the All-American Store and while the driver of the vehicle pumped gas, the thief walked into the store and started distracting the employee.
Store owner Adam Dager says while the employee was distracted, the suspect reached into the boot and stole some of the donation money.
"Usually if somebody is coming into the store and ripping off five bucks from a counter from a charity benefiting anything... kids, youth, anything, they're into something else and that's what frustrates me," said Dager.
Bob Colburn, one of the gas station's patrons said "It's very disappointing that an individual would stoop that low to take money from those that are in need. More than likely the person who took it didn't need it, he just wanted it."
Dager says if the person stole one of his products, it wouldn't bother him as much.
"I'm just more frustrated for those families that really do need it. Sure, obviously this guy needed it, there's ways for him to get it too."
If you recognize the suspect, you are asked to call police.
- Money stolen from local military charity collection boot
- USPS is honoring military dogs with a 2019 stamp collection
- Howe Military closure could affect local businesses
- WATCH: Fundraising money stolen from New Haven High School
- Meijer donates to FWFD "Fill the Boot" fundraiser
- FedEx profits slip after booting major customer Amazon
- Leaf collection starts this week
- ACPL addresses collection weeding concerns
- SCAN collecting Spring baskets Tuesday
- Local biker plans to hold ride for Howe Military Academy