FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - It's expected to be a nightmare on highways across the country until the end of the year.
AAA is expecting more than 103 million Americans to travel at least 50 miles for Christmas and New Years this year, that's the most ever.
People here in Fort Wayne are getting ready for the crowds.
Many were filling up their gas tanks this afternoon, getting ready to hit the road for the final holiday week of the year.
For people like Bryan Yoder, there's no place like home for the holidays.
"Spending time with family really. I don't get to see my family in Goshen a lot so it will be nice to be with my family," said Yoder.
"Just being with my family. I miss them, our distance is heart breaking. I get here whenever I can. The boys are growing so fast, but I love being here," said Connie McCaffrey, who traveled from upstate New York to be with family.
AAA is predicting 97 million Americans will take the highway over the hill and through the woods to grandma's this Christmas.
That's up from last year, and one of the reasons Connie McCaffrey made the trip from Albany, New York to the Summit City early.
"I had a rough time getting here. I left about two weeks ago. It was in a snow storm in Albany, but I made it through in one day. I made it in 11 hours," she said.
McCaffrey said she'll be in town for about another week before heading back home.
She said she doesn't mind making the trip with millions of other people on the road.
"It doesn't bother me. I mean I've done the trip so many times. I know the roads, so it's not so bad. If the roads are bad, I'll just pull over and spend the night, do the rest the next day," said.
Yoder said he's ready for whatever he might encounter on the roads this weekend.
"I'm a defensive driver so I always watch out for other people. I try to stay safe," he said.
- Millions expected to travel for Christmas
- More Than 54 million Americans expected to travel for holiday
- Travelers brace the snow before Christmas
- More than 55 million people expected to travel for Thanksgiving 2019
- More than 1 million Hoosiers traveling for Thanksgiving
- Weather Blog: Holiday travel
- Snow and ice are expected to wallop more than 90 million people
- NACAA conference expected to bring over a million in spending to Fort Wayne
- Skatin' for Christmas donations
- Christmas tree recycling begins