FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Fort Wayne Fire Department has a new battalion chief. Thomas Helmkamp's promotion was approved by the Merit Commission Wednesday morning.
This happened despite fire Chief Lahey's recommendation for rejection of the promotion. The Merit Commission asked for support as they needed a little more time to make a decision. Helmkemp's promotion got a unanimous vote.
The firefighter union released this statement to Fox 55:
"We appreciate the Merit Commission's unanimous decision to make the promotion of battalion chief Thomas Helmkamp permanent. We are grateful to have these checks and balances in place so decisions that directly affect the health and safety of our firefighters are not simply carried out unquestioned."
-The Fort Wayne Professional Firefighters Union IAFF 124
- Merit Commission approves promotion
- Merit board: Fire chief can accept resignations without board approval
- City council approves art commission
- Promotion approved for battalion chief
- Sheriff asks merit board to fire deputy
- Planning commission approves Jay County's second wind farm
- Plan commission approved non-favorable recommendation on Spencerville zoning
- New billboard promotes women's empowerment
- Public Art Commission gathering public input
- China promotes 3 potential central bank leaders