FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Meijer is helping the Fort Wayne Fire Department fill the boot.
The store presented a $2,000 check for the department's efforts in the annual MDA fundraiser.
Donations are significantly down compared to previous years.
That's because firefighters aren't allowed to collect donations at street corners.
"We're about $70,000 down from where we were last year. Hopefully with the momentum we've gained this year, I think other businesses will step up," said Jeremy Bush, IAFF 124 President.
"Now I hope more businesses step up and take the same stance Meijer has. Meijer is very vested into the community," said Meijer store director Mike Day.
The firefighters will also be collecting donations at Mike's Car Wash next weekend.
- Meijer donates to FWFD "Fill the Boot" fundraiser
- Firefighters will no longer stand in city streets for "Fill the Boot" campaign
- Fort Wayne Firefighters won't "Fill the Boot" on street corners this year
- Firefighters to "Fill the Boot" for MDA in parking lots this weekend
- FWFD accepting applications
- FWFD: water rescue not resumed
- FWFD investigating structure fire in Waynedale
- FWFD, city officials review last year's successes
- FWFD unveils new ladder truck one
- FWFD graduates 90th class of firefighters