FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Mayor Tom Henry and Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill announced a new initiative aimed at reducing homicides and violent crimes in Fort Wayne.
It's called, 'Walk the Talk' through the Ten Point Coalition. The initiative has already been successful in Indianapolis and Boston.
"We're focusing on the Oxford Community officially now. It's been a data driven strategy. So, we've learned a lot about the Oxford community, where the issues are, where the strength is," said Iric Headley, with Fort Wayne United.
Headley grew up in the Oxford Community on the southeast side. Through Fort Wayne United and the Ten Point Coalition, he's been working to form relationships with at-risk youth. Now, he's expanding the concept by helping to launch 'Walk the Talk.'
"It's personal to me that we can come right back home and put something here that we believe is going to make a tremendous difference," he said.
Mayor Henry said most people wouldn't go walking in the areas in need at night due to an increase in violence.
"Our whole challenge is going to be to embrace those neighborhoods, to let all the people who live in those neighborhoods know that our community is very concerned about what's going on in their neighborhoods, and we want to work with them as a city to say, 'this is unacceptable, we're better than this,'" Mayor Henry said.
Reverend Charles Harrison heads the Indianapolis Ten Point Coalition. The intiative has been in operation there for around 20 years.
"In Indianapolis we have worked in primarily four neighborhoods that have seen a significant reduction in urban youth gun violence," he said.
That's the hope for Fort Wayne.
"What we want to do is give them hope where there may not be hope," Rev. Harrison said.
'Walk the Talk' will kick off Sunday night with a prayer at Weisser Park at 5:30 p.m. The walks will start Monday night.
- Mayor Tom Henry, AG Curtis Hill announce initiative to reduce violent crimes
- Mayor announces proactive jobs initiative
- Office of AG Curtis Hill holds drug take back
- AG Curtis Hill warning consumers about credit card scam
- Prosecutor makes decision in AG Curtis Hill case
- AG Curtis Hill leads multistate effort to stop illegal robocalling
- Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry files for fourth term
- Mayor Tom Henry wins Democratic spot in primary race
- Tom Henry wins record 4th election as Fort Wayne mayor
- Indiana AG Curtis Hill announces drug rehab program at Kosciusko County Jail