ALBION, Ind. (WFFT)- Trevor L. Wert pleaded guilty to a murder charge earlier this month as part of a plea deal where a felony charge of child molesting was dropped.
On Monday morning, he was sentenced to 65 years in prision as part of a plea agreement.
Misty Matson, Railee Ewing's mother, said tensions were high in the courtroom.
Both sides had family members present.
"This situation isn't easy for anybody. It's not easy on my family. It's not easy on his family. it's not easy on Harold's family," Matson said.
A release from the Noble County prosecutor said 2 year-old Raliee Ewing had bruises and tearing injuries from physical and sexual abuse.
Wert was babysitting Ewing on October 31st.
Railee Ewing was unresponsive when she was taken to a hospital on November 1 where she died.
Wert told police he beat the child out of anger after turning on the faucet to the bathtub.
"Trevor got to live his life. Trevor's got to have kids. He's got a grandbaby on the way. My daughter is never going to get to experience those things," Matson said.
She said 65 years isn't enough.
Matson said it's been tough and although Wert will be serving time. The question of 'Why?' will always remain.
"The people that are suffering the most right now are these kids that don't understand," she explained.
She said one of the hardest things is trying to help her other daughter who misses her little sister dearly.
- Man who killed 2 year old while babysitting gets 65 year sentence
- Man gets 65 years for fatally shooting Fort Wayne clerk
- Man who killed wife with machete sentenced to 50 years
- Fort Wayne man sentenced to 63 years for shooting neighbor
- Easter shooter sentenced to 85 years
- Eckhart Library arsonist sentenced to 14 years in prison
- Michael Cohen sentenced to three years in prison
- Flowers sentenced to 85 years in 2017 murder
- April Tinsley's killer sentenced to 80 years, 30 year old case laid to rest
- Man sentenced to 200 years for deaths of 2 women, fetus