FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A man is dead after being shot outside a hotel Monday afternoon.
Police said someone called 911 around 1:40 p.m. to report an unresponsive man at the Suburban Extended Stay, 3320 W. Coliseum Boulevard.
When medics arrived, they found a man dead in the driver's seat of a gray SUV parked on the north side of the hotel.
Police said they found shell casings around the vehicle.
People who work near the hotel told WFFT they're not surprised someone was murdered in the area.
But police disagree.
"Any location is a surprise for a crime when you have a death investigation," said Michael Joyner, Fort Wayne Police Department spokesman.
Fort Wayne City Councilman Tom Didier, who represents this area, wrote the city's chronic commercial problem property ordinance last year in an effort to help clean up the area near the Coliseum Boulevard and Goshen Road intersection.
"This actually doesn't affect the chronic nuisance ordinance," Didier said.
Under the ordinance, if a business gets 12 calls of service for things such as drugs or prostitution, the business could be fined.
Crimes, such as Monday's murder, don't count towards that fine but does hurt the reputation of other nearby businesses.
"We're trying to help these hotels and other establishments in this area so that the stigmatism that's involved right now is going to get corrected," said Didier.
In 2017, two of the first three homicides in Allen County were at hotels in Didier's district.
"We don't want to put a damper on what we're trying to create in the city," he said. "If we can see can you curb and make it go away, through a higher percentage, it will be better for community."
The Allen County Coroner's office will conduct an autopsy to determine the victim's identity and cause and manner of death.
Police are still searching for any suspects. If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 436-7867.
- Man killed outside Fort Wayne Hotel
- One-of-a-Kind Hotel Proposed for Downtown Fort Wayne
- Woman found dead inside Fort Wayne hotel room, arrest made
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne man convicted of killing 2 women, fetus
- Man killed after Fort Wayne mobile home shooting
- Fort Wayne man killed in Paulding County crash
- Coroner identifies Fort Wayne man killed in stabbing
- 45-year-old Fort Wayne man killed in motorcycle crash
- Fort Wayne man killed in overnight shooting on Broadway Street