GARRETT, Ind. (WFFT) — A man is dead in DeKalb County after police say a tree fell on him Friday afternoon.
First responders in DeKalb County were called to the 1100 block of County Road 40 in Garrett just before 1:30 p.m. in reference to a tree that had fallen on a man.
Deputies say they arrived at the scene and found an unresponsive man.
Investigators say it appeared that the man was trying to cut down a tree when it fell in an unexpected direction and he became pinned underneath.
The victim was identified as Layton Casselman, who was pronounced dead at the scene deputies said.
- Man in Garrett killed while trying to cut tree
- Man arrested after Garrett bar fight
- Garrett man taken to hospital after crash
- Garrett man shot on Labor Day
- Waterloo man arrested in Garrett drug raid
- Officers cleared in Garrett shooting
- Missing Garrett teen found safe
- Amber Garrett changes her plea
- Police arrest two kids for shooting a Garrett man
- Deputy, suspect hurt in Garrett shooting