LARGO, Ind. (WFFT) - An ice fisherman is dead after falling through ice on a private pond in Wabash County Thursday.
Indiana Conservation Officers said Brian Ford, 58, told a family member that he would be ice fishing on their pond in Lagro.
The family member was worried about him after it got dark and he had not returned.
That's when she saw his fishing gear still on the pond and also observed a large hole in the ice.
Indiana Conservation Officer divers recovered Ford's body minutes later.
DNR officers advise using extreme caution when venturing out on the ice after several days of mild weather.
Ice conditions can rapidly deteriorate with warming weather and precipitation.
- Man dies after falling into Wabash County pond
- Child rescued from pond
- Car pulled from pond in Allen County
- Alligator in Plymouth pond captured
- Crews rescue dog from frigid pond
- Staying safe on icy ponds or lakes
- Fire department investigates car in pond
- New Haven man dies in fall from Michigan waterfalls
- Man falls from Noble County tree stand
- Suspicious Death Investigation in Wabash County