FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- President Trump says he's moving the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, a holy city for Christians, Muslims and Jews. He also recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Hamzah Sharif, an imam at the Islamic Center of Fort Wayne says Trump made a bad move.
"We did not really expect this decision. As an American citizen, I do not think that it helps or serves our country in the middle east," said Sharif.
Sharif says it appears that our country is taking sides.
"To have Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, makes it a holy city for the Jews only."
Sharif says he thinks the decision may create tensions in the middle east, especially with extremists.
"Especially extremists from both sides. The Israelis and the Arabs or Muslim sides will use it to promote their own agenda. "
Indiana Congressman Jim Banks made the following statement after Trump's decision: "Today's announcement by President Trump re-affirms the special relationship between the United States and Israel." Banks said it's great to have a president who is finally enforcing a law passed by congress in 1995.
U.S. Representative Luke Messer of Indiana also issued a statement in support of Trump saying, "Hoosiers agree that Israel is our most important ally in the region, and President Trump's decision reaffirms our commitment to stand with the Jewish state."
However, not all Hoosiers agree with Trump's decision, and Sharif says he hopes people can understand what the decision means, and make their voices heard.
"We as american's should not accept to give it to the occupiers, so we should make our voices heard and make this administration understand that this does not help our country, it does not help our people and it does not show what america is in this world."
WFFT also reached out to the Jewish Federation of Fort Wayne, who declined to comment on the issue.
- Locals react to Trump's Jerusalem decision
- Locals react to Mueller report
- Locals react to Indiana Hate Crimes bill
- Local Colts fans react to Luck's retirement
- Trump Iran nuclear deal decision coming Tuesday
- Local Muslim community reacts to shootings in New Zealand
- Neighbors react to murder investigation
- Huntington residents react to explosion
- People in Fort Wayne react to President Trump's national emergency.
- Lakeland delays decision for elementary school closures