Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The sun was beaming with American flags flying in the wind and families were all lined up to honor the fallen for Memorial Day.
"We have come to this parade for the last at least 10 years and we never miss it," Mikayla Miller said.
Among the candy tossing, horns beeping, and waves were those with heavy hearts like Thomas Adkinson who says we should keep those who made the ultimate sacrifice in mind everyday not just Memorial Day.
"That goes through my mind so often not just Memorial Day, and people have to remember this freedom wasn't free," Adkinson said.
Adkinson was in the army.
"It hurts me everyday I think about of all the young people that's died in all these wars. As I get older, it bothers me all the more thinking how at young age going in war and then going in dying," he added.
He's among many people in the crowd happy to be alive to honor them and their bravery.
- Locals honor the fallen on Memorial Day
- Fallen firefighter Eric Balliet honored
- Soldier braves elements to honor fallen comrades
- Celina student suspended for project meant to honor fallen soldiers
- Local student honored with scholarship
- Local group planning day to honor General Anthony Wayne
- Remembering the fallen
- 9/11 Memorial honors local firefighters and those who died 17 years ago
- Memorial Day gas prices remain stubbornly high
- Run for the Fallen honors soldiers from Fort Wayne to Indy