FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Tincaps and Big Brothers Big Sisters honor a local high school senior.
Tonight they honored Amaya Williams.
She's one of twenty national rising start students program winners.
Williams was given a $500 college stipend.
The award honors high-achieving students involved in the Big Brothers Big Sisters mentorship program.
Williams says she was surprised and grateful for the scholarship.
"Either way, you know, scholarship or not I was going to try my hardest to, you know, get my education and make sure that I can move forward," Willams said. "But it's a huge help and it's a help that I'm very appreciative of."
Williams says she feels like being in Big Brothers Big Sisters has helped be prepared to make the next step to college.
- Local student honored with scholarship
- Wabash honors local vets
- Locals honor the fallen on Memorial Day
- Par-Tee Golf Club holds annual scholarship tournament
- Anthony Wayne Rotary and City Utilities provide a new scholarship
- Local students helping build area homes
- Local student falls from Gettysburg monument
- Students honored at Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards
- Celina student suspended for project meant to honor fallen soldiers
- Local group planning day to honor General Anthony Wayne