FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The scenes from our nation's border are sparking an outrage for some here in Fort Wayne.
That's why the Latino Democrats of Allen County are planning a rally for this weekend.
Cassey Suthers with the Latino Democrats says despite being put on by local democrats, this rally is more for the entire community to take a stand on what's happening.
"I think what's going on right now is appalling," Suthers said. "Just as a country and as humans really I think we need to be concerned because these are human beings. These are people who deserve to be treated with dignity. People who are just seeking better lives for their families."
Purdue Fort Wayne Political Science Professor Mike Wolf says what our country is seeing at the border is the security platform point that president trump ran during his campaign.
Wolf says we're seeing a blend of groups entering the U.S. as well as the tightening of security.
He says there's a lack of clarity when it comes to the policy surrounding those entering.
"Presidents have, for the last few decades, have been all over the place on how tightly and actually how they pursue immigration and deportation," Wolf said. "So it's just a product of our system where the legislative branch oftentimes doesn't fill in the specifics of how to execute the law and presidents take advantage of that for their own political goals."
Suthers says in the end this is an issue of morals and hopes many community members will come support the cause.
"We really want a call to action," Suthers said. "Find ways to change the policy. Find ways to show our representatives that we do not agree with this and that this is not something that we believe the united states stands for."
The Stop ICE Rally is Saturday, June 23 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. in front of the Allen County Courthouse.
The rally has a list of speakers:
- Pablo Hurtado, President of lation Democrats of Allen County
- John Aguilera who is running for State Treasurer and his wife, attorney Vanessa Lopez Aguilera
- IPFW Professor Dr. Max Montestino
- State Senate candidate and special education teacher kat5hy Zoucha
- Indiana Secretary of State candidate Jim Harper
- Local group gets ready to hold "Stop ICE Rally"
- Latino Democrats of Allen County hold "Stop ICE" rally
- Groups hold anti-socialism rally
- Local group helping grieving mothers
- Local group talks tobacco use
- Preferred Automotive Group holds Christmas tree giveaway
- Local group pushes for universal health care
- Locals hold Medicare for All discussion
- Local organization holds community Easter event
- Local activist group calls for prosecuting attorney to resign