COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. (WFFT)- Doris Maxine Mock, or as her friends and family know her, "Grandma," celebrated her 88th birthday Thursday at one of the gas stations her grandson owns.
Grandma has worked at the gas stations five days a week for the last 18 years after being a stay-at-home wife and mother for decades.
"When they got home from school and my husband got home from work, I always had supper ready. I mean I cooked for five and my husband ate as much as the boys," she said.
Her grandson, Adam Dager, said Grandma sets the mood for a great day at work and likes to keep the employees into gear.
"Just bantering with customers and, I call them Grandmaisms. She keeps the mood always light. She's always in a good mood. She's always looking out for people. She just loves people," Dager said.
Grandma is best known for hugging the customers that come through.
"Some of the men say, 'That made my day. I needed that this morning.' So that means a lot. It really does," she said.
And you can always count on her to throw in an off the wall comment.
When Grandma isn't working, she's usually relaxing with her husband of 65 years, or watching old Western movies.
Her secret to a long life is laughter and hard work.
"I will probably continue working until I drop," she said.
- Local grandma works 5 days a week, celebrates 88th birthday
- Embassy celebrates 90th birthday
- VA hospital staff celebrate veteran's 100th birthday
- Huntington woman celebrates her 100th birthday
- Grandma of homicide victim speaks out
- Happy 40th birthday, Walkman
- Amber Garrett appears in court, grandma speaks out about charges
- IHOP celebrates National Pancake Day
- Man ‘adopts’ forgotten road barricade, celebrates birthdays and holidays with it
- FOX 55 celebrates the Mother's Day Holiday