Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- They held a Stop ICE rally downtown to show unity with the families who've been separated at the U.S. border.
Some concerned residents of Fort Wayne gathered in front of the Allen County courthouse Saturday afternoon to voice their concerns on immigration.
From educators to people running for political office, voting is the message echoed Saturday in light of what's currently happening to children and families impacted by ICE.
"To see that people are here demonstrating speaking out against it, I think it gives a lot of people hope, and it gives me hope because I want to let people in our state know our voice matters," president of Latino Democrats of Allen County Pablo Hurtado said.
One of the speakers was Purdue Fort Wayne University professor Max Montesino. He's vocal about immigration because he knows what it's like first hand.
"I told the people, as an immigrant that came to this country and studied and became a professional and now I teach, I relate to what exactly my people are going through," he said.
Like many others he came for a better life and sympathizes with the separated families.
"We're talking about people that came seeking asylum. What they found is family separation,"Montensino added.
The event was put together by democrats but there were also republicans in the crowd calling for change on how immigration is handled.
"I want to show the Latino community in Fort Wayne that there's people out here who are standing for these issues. I think it's easy to feel alone here in our city and in our state, but there's people working toward positive change, people working toward implementing policies so they can feel safe to live here in this country,"Hurtado said.
- Latino Democrats of Allen County hold "Stop ICE" rally
- Local group gets ready to hold "Stop ICE Rally"
- Allen County Right to Life holds 45th annual Rally and March for Life
- Second amendment supporters rally at the Allen County courthouse
- Allen County SPCA holds 3rd annual Howl-O-Ween
- Allen County Commissioners to hold hearings about bridge tax increase
- Teachers hold Work In outside Allen County Courthouse
- Allen County Superior Court holds Drug Court graduation
- Allen County Right to Life holds memorial for the unborn
- Groups hold anti-socialism rally