FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Several Northeast Indiana shoppers hit the stores less than 24 hours before the big day. Daniel Lopez is one of them.
"I don't even think about it. I just wait until Christmas Eve and then I do it," Lopez said.
He said he does it every year on Christmas Eve because he gets busy with work.
"Last year I was in Afghanistan, so that was a little different," Lopez said.
In a survey of 7,000 people done by the National Retail Federation, 25 percent of shoppers said they're too busy or restricted with their shopping time.
"I'm normally ahead of the game here, but this year, with working and everything, I'm just really behind," said Mara Barkes.
Barkes said even though she was still tying up loose ends today, she started shopping weeks ago.
"I started about six or eight weeks ago. I usually start early," Barkes said.
Others said they got a later start.
When asked how long ago he started shopping, Tyler Murphy said, "Four days ago." He and his girlfriend, Amanda Naylor, said the week before Christmas was the perfect time to catch sales.
"There were some sales going on at Macy's that we waited for," Murphy said.
Other shoppers said it's tradition for them to finish shopping for others, and then treat themselves.
"My husband and I do this every year, and they do as well, and we're neighbors so we just decided to go together," said Teri Ortiz, who was out shopping with Jackie Bunn, her neighbor.
Whether you started months ago, or waited until Christmas Eve, one thing is for sure, Santa Claus is coming to the Summit City.
- Last minute shoppers hit the stores on Christmas Eve
- Store lots full of last minute shoppers before Christmas Eve
- Indiana liquor stores closed on New Year's Eve, a Sunday
- Police bring holiday cheer to local shoppers
- Black Friday shoppers out on Thanksgiving
- ACD Museum hosting New Year's Eve party
- Weather affects New Year's Eve plans in Fort Wayne
- Senator Donnelly in Fort Wayne on eve of election day
- Fantasy of Lights on display through New Year's Eve
- Skatin' for Christmas donations