LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A 17-year-old girl arrested after a double homicide in Lafayette was officially charged Tuesday. Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Patrick Harrington confirmed that Jaelynn Billups is being tried as an adult.
According to court documents, Billups faces the following charges:
- Three counts of Murder (Class X felony)
- Conspiracy to commit armed robbery (Level 3 felony)
- Armed Robbery (Level 3 felony)
- Theft (Class A misdemeanor)
- Pointing a firearm (Level 6 felony)
- Carrying a handgun without a license (Class A Misdemeanor)
Billups had no questions or concerns for Magistrate Dan Moore after hearing her eight charges.
As we've previously reported, Domino's pizza delivery driver 37-year-old Joshua Ungersma was one of the people killed that night.
We learned the name and connection of the second victim: 19-year-old Alberto Vanmeter, who is named as Billups' boyfriend.
Billups was arrested after police responded to a call on Aug. 31 around 11 p.m. of shots fired.
According to new details in the probable cause affidavit, Billups ordered a pizza from Domino's using a fake name.
Ungersma delivered the pizza to a home on 16th street, which was unoccupied and is not Billups' address.
The state is saying Billups and Vanmeter planned to rob Ungersma.
However, Ungersma shot Vanmeter first in self-defense. Multiple witnesses say they saw Billups shoot Ungersma.
Court documents say Vanmeter was found shot with the pizza, drinks and cash on the ground around him.
Billups was found hovering over Vanmeter. The affidavit said Ungersma did have a permit to carry a handgun.
Billups told Magistrate Moore that she will need about 30 days to find a lawyer.
Her first pre-trial conference is set for Jan. 29, 2020. Her jury trial is currently set for Feb. 23, 2020, however that date will most likely be pushed back.
A breakdown of the three counts of murder:
- Count 1- Information of Murder
- "On or about August 31st, 2020, in Tippecanoe County, State of Indiana, Jaelynn Niree Billups did knowingly or intentionally kill another human being, to-wit: Joshua Ungersma"
- Count 2- Information of Murder
- "On or about August 31st 2020, in Tippecanoe County, State of Indiana, Jaelynn Niree Billups did knowingly or intentionally kill another human being, to-wit: Joshua Ungersma, while committing or attempting to commit robbery"
- County 3- Information of Murder
- "On or about August 31st 2020, in Tippecanoe County, State of Indiana, Jaelynn Niree Billups did aid, induce or cause Joshua Ungersma to kill another human being, to-wit: Alberto Edwardo Vanmeter, while Billups and Vanmeter were committing or attempting to commit robbery"