SALEM, Ind. (AP) - A 53-year-old Indiana man is dead after a police-involved shooting at the Washington County Fairgrounds.
Indiana State Police are investigating the shooting involving officers from the Salem Police Department.
Authorities responding to a call reporting a suspicious person before 2 p.m. Wednesday allegedly encountered a man brandishing a hammer. Officers say he did not listen to commands to drop the hammer and stop approaching. At least one officer fired a gun, killing the man. He has been identified as Mark A. Naugle of Scottsburg.
The officers have been placed on administration leave.
After the investigation the information will be turned over the Washington County prosecutor for review.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Indiana man dies in police-involved shooting
- Indiana State Police investigating two Wabash Co. police-involved shootings
- North Manchester man dies in officer-involved shooting
- Indiana State Police investigating Warsaw officer-involved shooting
- Police investigate officer-involved shooting in Huntington
- Officer-involved shooting in Kendallville
- Authorities: Driver dies following police chase, shooting
- Northwestern Indiana police shoot man armed with knife
- Police shoot, wound Indiana man after domestic dispute, fire
- Indiana State Police investigating disturbance involving Allen County Sheriff