SEYMOUR, Ind. (AP) — A southern Indiana man has been convicted in the death of his 8-year-old son, who died from an overdose of methamphetamine he had ingested after possibly mistaking the drug for food.
A Jackson County jury convicted Curtis G. Collman II of Seymour on Thursday of neglect of a dependent resulting in death, and four other charges. His sentencing is set for Nov. 5.
Collman, 43, was arrested after his son, Curtis Collman III, died after ingesting a lethal dose of meth in June 2018 while staying with his father, the Seymour Tribune reported.
At some point during that visit, the child told Collman he was hungry but his father replied that there was no food and returned to sleep, according to a probable cause affidavit.
Police said meth was found on a glass plate in the home, and one officer said the boy could have mistaken it for cereal crumbs in the home’s poor lighting, according to court records.
After his son became seriously ill, Collman failed to get medical treatment for his son, Prosecutor Jeff Chalfant said in closing arguments.
He said Collman was addicted to meth and it can change people’s actions.
“We know he had affection for his son and did not want him to die. However, his son’s life was not the most important thing to him,” Chalfant said, calling the child’s death “unbelievably sad.”
Collman’s court-appointed attorney, Brian Chastian, said Collman loved his son.
He said Collman did reach out for help by calling a friend before taking the boy to the home of his mother and brother and asked them to call 911.