COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. (WFFT) -
The booking area in Whitley County Jail was contaminated with drug exposure after a female inmate was brought in. Both her and her accomplice's identities were released.
Wonica Johns-Bates, age 44, of Chicago released suspected heroin onto some officers sending more than twenty people from the hospital. The man is Leon Pointer, 52, of Chicago.
No major medical issues stemmed from the contamination.
Sheriff Marcus Gatton of the Whitley Sheriff Department said the woman carried the powerful substance in a makeup container.
"A confinement officer had exposure to his forearm," said Sheriff Gatton. "He had some tingling; [we used] water to dilute the heroin immediately. He was later taken to the hospital."
Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Ron Galaviz says the couple was arrested in Whitley County after they were caught going more than 100 mph (160 kph).
- Indiana jail drug exposure sends 24 to hospital
- Motorcycle crash sends one to hospital
- Fire sends one man to the hospital
- Opioid Substance Found at Jail, Officers and Inmates Medically Evaluated for Exposure
- When hospitals pour drugs down the drain
- Two Michigan Men Jailed On Drug Charges Following Traffic Stop On Indiana Toll Road
- Indiana AG Curtis Hill announces drug rehab program at Kosciusko County Jail
- Single-car crash on I-69 sends one to hospital
- Southern Wells bus crash sends students and driver to hospital
- Five vehicle crash sends four to the hospital Thursday