Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is making their mark on the campus of Indiana Tech University in hopes of reaching as many students and community members as they can.
"The office of diversity and inclusion is new this year in Indiana Tech, so we wanted to do something to honor the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. an to display our department and say 'hey we're here and we're here to support you and create a safe space'," Co-Organizer, Abby Miller, said.
The theme this year for the first annual celebration is "Renewing A Spirit Of Unity", featuring guest speaker Dr. Jamie Washington who is the President and Co-Founder of the social justice training institute.
For this to be the inaugural event, everything so far is almost at capacity.
"Our student session which has the capacity of 100 is at 96 attendees right now, so people want this, and we want to channel it, and give it to people while we're thriving, so we can start this as a group," Lisa Givan, Indiana Tech’s Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer, said.
They started the two day event with a discussion on micro aggression and how to identify it in a faculty session. This lead into dialogue on how to deal with students better. the student session will be held tomorrow.
"We want our students to be global minded citizens. We realize they can't meet their global potential if they are not even aware of the resources in their backyard."
- Indiana Tech University holds first MLK Community Celebration
- YMCA holds MLK Day of Service
- University of Saint Francis joins national MLK day of service
- 35th Annual MLK Unity Day Celebration at Grand Wayne
- Kroger holding Grand Opening celebration
- Indiana Tech and University of Saint Francis reach agreement to help students
- FWCS holds community service day
- Indiana Tech to lease at Electric Works
- Indiana Tech talks opioids in the workplace
- University of Saint Francis makes the MLK holiday a day of service