COESSE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Indiana Department of Transportation is looking at improving intersections along U.S.30.
One of the first projects is installing median u-turns at County Road 500 E in Whitley County.
To submit written comments:
Mail: INDOT Public Hearings
IGCN Room N642
100 North Senate Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Coesse Elementary is near the intersection and Whitley County Consolidated Schools superintendent Dr. Patricia O'Connor said buses going to the school aren't allowed to use the intersection with students on board.
"Any time I hear about cars stacked up on 30, doesn't that make us a little nervous," said O'Connor.
INDOT said the safest improvement to the intersection and keep traffic moving is installing a median u-turn.
There are currently four of these intersections in Indiana, including U.S. 30 and State Road 101 in eastern Allen County.
INDOT spokeswoman Nichole Thomas said since that intersection opened last year, there are fewer crashes.
"That's our goal, to ensure everyone gets home safely every single night and we do that by improving safety," Thomas said.
Thomas said a traffic light isn't warranted at C.R. 500E in Whitley County, adding the goal is to remove the lights along U.S. 30 to improve traffic flow.
If the project is moving forward, the median u-turn would be installed in 2021.
INDOT is seeking public comment about the median U-turn in Whitley County until Oct. 25.
- INDOT looking at improving U.S. 30 intersection in Whitley County
- Whitley County Jail changing inmate mail screening
- One dead after semi versus vehicle crash in Whitley County
- Whitley County Sheriff K-9 dies in crash after police chase
- K9 Cas laid to rest in Whitley County
- Whitley County man arrested on child porn charges
- Whitley County residents gather at Concord Cemetery to honor veterans
- INDOT prepares for snowfall
- INDOT prepares for winter roads, encourages drivers
- INDOT launching new semi parking system